Arlington Campus Parking
Regular Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday 8:30am - 6:00pm
Fridays 8:30PM - 3:00PM
Spring/Summer and Spring permits go on sale Friday January 2nd
Parking Options for Faculty/Staff/Students:
Parking at the Arlington Campus is restricted to those either working or attending class at the campus. Even with the opening of Founders Hall parking is very limited, especially in the Metropolitan Building Garage. Those planning to arrive between 1:00 pm and 5:30 pm should if at all possible use alternative means to get to campus including using Metro, walking, and bicycling. There is metered parking on surrounding streets; however even on-street parking may be limited at times.
Founders Hall Parking Garage
- The Founders Hall Parking Deck is a reserved parking garage that guarantees all Founders Hall permit holders a parking space in that structure and will be $500 annually. Founders Hall permits will also be valid in the non-restricted spaces of the general permit areas on both the Fairfax and Prince William campuses. The Founders Hall permits will not be valid in the Metropolitan Building Garage.
- Founders Hall Day & Evening Permits – The Founders Hall Day Permit is valid in Founders Hall from 5 AM – 6 PM, Monday through Friday, and all day on weekends, and the Founders Hall Evening Permit is valid in Founders Hall from 2 PM – 2 AM, Monday through Friday, and all day on weekends. Both of these permit types will guarantee you a space in Founders Hall during their specified time range. These permits are $400 annually and are also valid in the General permit areas on both the Fairfax and Prince William campuses. These permits will not be valid in the Metropolitan Building Garage.
- All of the Founders Hall Parking Garage permit options are available for sale online at http://parking.gmu.edu. Just click on “Purchase Your Permit” at the top of the page and login using the same username (NetID) and password as your Mason email and PatriotWeb accounts.
- FACULTY/STAFF – Faculty/staff eligible for Payroll Deduction, can obtain a non-expiring Founders Hall Payroll Deduction permit for $20.83 per pay period. You will need to visit the Arlington Parking Services Office located on the 2nd floor of Founders Hall in Room 219 to apply for the Arlington payroll deduction permits. Please call us at (703) 993-8146 to check for eligibility.
- The Founders Hall Parking Deck requires the use of a unique electronic access device, so once you purchase your permit, you will need to visit the Arlington Parking Services’ office, located in Room 219 in the Founders Hall Building to obtain the device.
- To access the Founders Hall garage, use the alley behind Founders Hall, turning off either Kirkwood Drive (between Hazel Hall and Truland Building) or Washington Boulevard at the traffic signal between Giant and GMU Foundation Building (come down the hill and go past the GMUF garage and the Original Building loading dock).
Arlington General – Metropolitan Building Garage
- An Arlington Faculty/Staff/Student general permit and access card are required to park in the Metropolitan Building Parking Garage. You can obtain an access card from the Parking Services Office located in Founders Hall, Room 219. Arlington’s faculty, staff and student community are entitled to 312 parking spaces in the Foundation Building before 6:00pm, and 550 spaces after 6:00pm. A general permit does not guarantee space in the Metropolitan Building Garage.
- FACULTY/STAFF - Faculty/staff eligible for Payroll Deduction, can obtain a non-expiring Arlington General Payroll Deduction permit for $16.66 per pay period. You will need to visit the Arlington Parking Services Office located on the 2nd floor of Founders Hall in Room 219 to apply for the Arlington payroll deduction permits. Please call us at (703) 993-8146 to check for eligibility.
- Additional Parking in Metropolitan Building Garage – There is now a designated group of parking spaces for Mason Faculty/Staff only until 5PM, Monday through Friday on level B-3 of the Metropolitan Building Garage. This area will be open to students after 5PM. Faculty/staff/student Arlington General permits will be allowed on level B-4 of the Metropolitan Building Garage after 6PM.
- For those driving directly to the Metropolitan Building Parking Garage it is recommended that you approach the garage from the north on Washington Blvd. so you can make a right turn into the entrances. If you are driving on Fairfax Drive from I-66, you can make a left at Quincy St. (the Arlington Funeral Home sign is on the corner) and then make a right onto Washington Blvd. across from Washington and Lee High School. It is best to use the entrance closest to Giant by turning right at the traffic light.
- There is no overnight parking allowed in Metropolitan garage without permission from Parking Services and arrangements made in advance.
- Parking Services must be notified each time overnight parking occurs.
- Staff must have a note on the dash of their car before they leave.
- Car make, model, color, and tag number are provided.
- Deck level the car is located.
Visitor Parking – Founders Hall Parking Garage
Visitor parking is now open in the Founders Hall Parking Garage. The rates are set at the prevailing rates for all University visitor garages. Currently the rates are $3/hour with a daily maximum of $14 Monday-Friday. After 5pm on Fridays and all day on Saturday and Sunday, there is a flat daily rate of $7. Payment methods accepted: cash, coin, Visa/Mastercard, and Founders Hall validations. The validation request form can be found here.
Event parking is arranged with the Events Management office in conjunction with Parking Services. Please contact Events Management (3-8140) or Parking Services (3-8146 or email@example.com) for information on meeting your event needs. Organizations can purchase validations from Parking Services for their guests. The validation request form can be found here.
- Disabled Parking – Available in each parking facility. Vehicle must display BOTH a valid DMV disabled permit (tag or placard) and a valid Mason parking permit (or payment required). DMV permits alone are not valid for parking in campus parking areas or lots.
- Motorcycle Parking – With the closing of the Truland Building, we are now looking for alternative options to place motorcycle parking at the Arlington campus. Please check back for updates.
- Fuel Efficient Vehicle Preferred Parking – There are preferred parking spaces in the Founders Hall Parking Garage and the Metropolitan Building Garage for eligible fuel-efficient vehicles. A free supplemental fuel-efficient vehicle permit is required to park in these spaces. For more info go here
- Carpool Parking – There are some preferred faculty/staff carpool spaces in each facility, requiring a free supplemental carpool permit. For information on registering go here. Look for information on a new carpool program for students.
- Administrative Parking Permits – Departments from the Fairfax and Prince William campuses can request a Founders Hall access device that will allow them to park in the Founders Hall Parking Garage while conducting business on the Arlington campus. The access devices are intended to be shared amongst all members in the department and are not for the sole use of one individual. The Founders Hall access device does not allow parking in the Metropolitan Building Garage. To request a Founders Hall access device for your department, please send your request to Ann Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Virginia Square stop is less than 2 blocks from campus. At the Fairfax campus, you can take the CUE bus or the Mason to Metro Shuttle to the Vienna Metro station and then take the Orange Line to the Virginia Square stop. Check the Mason Shuttles website at for more information.
Arlington Contact Information
- Office of Parking Services: Web Site
- Arlington Campus Parking Services Office Founders Hall, Room 219: (703) 993-8146 or email@example.com
- Campus Operations Coordinator: (703) 993-8140
- University Police: (703) 993-8070/2810
- Arlington Campus Information Services: (703) 993-8999
- Parking Office Hours: Arlington Campus Hours of Operation